How to Establish Authority (Even Though You Have None)

The authority of assistants are often questioned. How can you establish authority when you have none?

What is Authority anyway? 
  1. The power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge. One that is invested with this power.
  2. An accepted source of expert information or advice: Power to influence or persuade resulting from knowledge or experience
Those are my definitions of authority.  They are different, but they are linked together. For me, you can be in a position of authority but not have authority... or you may not have authority but be an authority. 
"WHAT? Put her in a straightjacket!" Before you do that, let me clarify.

In band/designation/position/level, whatever you call it, where are we Assistants? Down there... several levels below the people we are working closely with. The only reason that we're being tolerated is because of who we report to. That's the whole truth. Our boss is the main reason we get away with what we do. They empower us and very few challenge our authority. It enables us to work in peace... but this also means our authority is just borrowed.

How many people have thought, "Who does she think she is?", when we give a directive or asked for a report from co-workers who are more senior than us? A million times. How many times have people tried to bully you with their seniority, just to impose their authority over you? A hundred times. We are resented because we have authority, even though we are not supposed to have any. They think we don't deserve it. That we're just lucky that we are where we are. It's a natural reaction and we should expect it and take it in stride, cause what can we do? We are only doing our job.

How then can we have authority when we have none? How can resentment be replaced with respect and appreciation? How do we bridge the level gap and deserve the authority given to us by our bosses?

When I was a new assistant, I said to my boss... "It's not easy being your assistant and help manage people who are all my bosses. I'm like a small fish swimming in an ocean of sharks. The only reason they're not eating me is because I'm under you." :) Ain't that true? 


When my boss left, I expected people to challenge my authority, and some did. Some tried to put me in my place. Others stopped listening to me. It's a good thing that over the years, I've made myself an expert at what I do. I can boast that if anyone wants anything done in the quickest and most efficient way possible, I'm still the one to approach. Some realize that and grudgingly respect it. Some are grateful for the help. Some just resent you, period. However they look at it, the fact is acknowledged. Who doesn't need reliable and efficient assistance anyway? We're USEFUL.

If we turn ourselves into a resource who yields results, when co-workers are confident that you know what you are doing, they will listen to and turn to you. It will bridge the level gap.... and it will not be something borrowed. You will be perceived for what you are.. someone who can help... someone who was given authority because he/she is an authority. It is well earned and justified.

Do you want to be that person who has authority but is not deserving of it? How many people like that do you know? Many, right? So make sure that when it comes to administrative and coordination skills, you're at the top of the skill chain. Your expertise will be your badge of authority.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and views.