A Breed Apart: The Addictus EAs

Executive Assistants tend to relax when they're already sitting at the left hand of power. But there are still some who aim to be the best in the field - those who want to deserve the privilege. This article is for the EAs who consistently try to perfect their craft - The Addictus EAs! Yes, I made that up. It's a perfect name, huh? Not so long ago, I belonged to that group and I'm proud to make that claim. 
What is an Addictus EA? You know the stereotype. Uber detailed, scarily efficient, never sleeps, takes their cellphones to the shower, doesn't have lunch breaks, over achievers, always looking for something to do, hates it when people don't follow processes, hates making mistakes... If that sounds like you, welcome to the club!

Addictus EAs are a breed apart. The qualities that I mentioned above may sound negative to some, but it's necessary to do the job we're required to do. We are entrusted with many and diverse responsibilities that we have to be a "Jill of All Trades!"

I assisted a wonderful leader for many years. I give him credit for the kind of EA that I am.. (and blame too, depending on whose point of view) He was a commando trainer in the army. You can imagine... he was strict and a perfectionist! He honed me and pushed me until I was sharp enough to slice through paper - which is what he needed me to be, to do my tasks. Having bosses like that makes us better EAs because we are forced to meet their high expectations of us. We bend and twist like a pretzel to accommodate. We are never complacent. It's a rare opportunity.

Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do... Excellence then is not an act but a habit." After many years of aiming only for excellence, you become excellent. It's inevitable.


If you love being an Executive Assistant, or if you are striving to be an EA someday, you gotta have a phase in your career where you are an Addictus EA. If you don't go through this phase, you'll fall behind the pack of younger, more aggressive and highly skilled assistants. Mini Addictus EAs, all of them. Experience only counts when it comes with upgraded skill sets - otherwise, it'll only mean that you are old. :) We don't want that. We don't want to be perceived as has-beens, right?

Experience and an Addictus EA phase will mold you to your fullest potential. It will instill in you a desire to be the best at what you do. In going after this desire, you will teach yourself new skills and learn new ways of being a better assistant. You will evolve. 

But there's a catch... you can't do this on your own. You need to find a boss that will turn you to an Addictus EA - yes, like a vampire that needs to give you an infusion of blood before you turn. You will have a symbiotic relationship and in this exchange, you will both benefit.

The Boss You Should Look For

Someone you Respect

You will not twist and turn like a pretzel to meet the expectations of a boss you do not respect. We're not crazy. There's a reason why Addictus EAs are the way they are. One reason is that we worship the ground our bosses walk on. Our loyalty and respect are absolute. We respect them as a leader and as a person. We believe in their morals and their objectives.  So when they chastise us for being less than the perfect EA they expect us to be, we take it in stride and just try harder. It's tiring like hell, but worth it.

Someone who Empowers

Bosses train their EAs only when they plan to give them important tasks. If they only want you to serve coffee and book their travels, why would they need to waste their time training you? Those are basic skills. So, in order to have the opportunity to be an Addictus EA, you need to find a boss who plans to give you bigger responsibilities. Some people won't welcome the additional tasks, but if you have big plans for yourself, you should be in the right place with the right people.

Someone who Mentors

Some people are just natural mentors, you know? They like sharing their knowledge (or maybe they just enjoy having an audience... hahaha!). Bosses like that will go out of their way to give you 10 minutes of their day, just to share their thoughts with you. You know, when my boss is trying to teach me something, he doesn't do it like a teacher. It's not like, this is what you do - A B C. ( I hate it when he does that sometimes ) He gives me his point of view instead. I learned more from those sessions than any formal training can teach me. I understood the reason behind my responsibilities and not just how to do the task itself. Knowing why you are doing something is so much better than learning how to do it.

If you noticed, this blog has that kind of tone too. I strive to make EAs and Admins realize the true meaning of being an assistant. I don't want to teach you how to take minutes and small stuff like that. You know that already. Instead, I want to make you appreciate the privilege of the job and improve the way you look  at it. To change your mindset and be proud of what you're doing everyday. 

Those were the craziest 6 years of my life... and it has helped shape the person that I am today.

Addictus days! I sure miss it. :) I'm not really sure I have the strength to do it again. One round is more than enough, I think.