5 Ways to Finish Tasks Early

You reach the office and you connect your laptop or login to your computer - ready to tackle the day's work. You open your browser and your messenger announcing to everyone you know that you're online and available.

While it is true that an effective executive assistant or admin should be easily reachable, it does not mean that you should open yourself up for unnecessary distractions. Filter what lands in your plate so you can finish your work on schedule.

People often comment that I'm curt and always rushing conversations. I'm sorry about that but I have a lot to do and I want to finish early. Once I pickup momentum and I get distracted, it's hard to recover the pace and train of thought again. But maybe that's just me.

DO NOT OPEN FACEBOOK, TWITTER, LINKEDIN or other SOCIAL MEDIA


Really, these sites are the enemies of productivity unless your business concerns social networking. You can easily waste 2 hours of your time just browsing your countless social networks (stalking your friends and enemies)... and you won't even notice it. So don't open them and spare yourself from temptation.

LEARN HOW TO SIDETRACK GOSSIP INVITATIONS


Socializing is fine once you're done with your checklist -  if it ever gets done. Is it really more important to talk about the latest news when you have a report that's due to be submitted? or if your Inbox is shouting for attention? The news updates can wait when you're free - then you can enjoy your chat. It's difficult to have a great conversation when your mind is occupied. Remember too, that you are supposed to know a lot about what's happening around you but not be a source of gossip. C level assistants specially need to be discreet.

STOP THE 2-HOUR LUNCH BREAKS

"Long leisurely lunch breaks are one of the perks of my job"
- said no good Executive Assistant ever.


Since I became an EA, I can't remember ever taking a lunch break when my boss is around - again, that's just me. EAs in the BPO Industry work at a faster and more hectic pace than their counterparts in other industries, maybe that's why they are paid a higher salary. I take short breaks instead and keep snacks on my desk. (Only works when you have an office since food on a work station is not allowed on our operations floor)

I'm not saying that you should starve yourself. It's just that I know EAs and Admins who take 2-hour breaks. Is your boss supposed to wait til you're good and ready? You may not like it, but it's part of our job to be on-hand when needed.

Related Articles: Checklist and Priorities

COLOR CODE YOUR INBOX

There are important emails then there are inane emails that will just ruin your day and break that ever precious working mood.

Mark the emails according to their priority. If you're like me and you get a minimum of 50 emails a day - color coding is vital to your sanity. In Outlook, you can flag those that are urgent by putting a red flag and put check marks on emails that you've already addressed. I have different color codes for those that require signatures, those for approval, those that are really burning and those that I've replied to but awaiting more info. So I give my Inbox a run through and preview them and mark accordingly - then I go address them by groups and archive the rest.


DO THE HARDEST TASKS FIRST

Executiveassistants

While you're mind is still fresh, complete the hardest tasks first. We have the tendency to delay the hard and yucky stuff we don't enjoy doing, but that's a mistake. Get it over with! You'll feel better after accomplishing a complicated task and can work in a more relaxed pace for the rest of the day.

Related Articles: Defining Efficiency in Admins and Executive Assistants

Your work habits will determine your performance in the long run. They say that efficiency is a habit. Ok maybe I'm an obsessive compulsive who just can't leave something alone until I'm satisfied. But that's a better habit to cultivate than mediocrity, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and views.